Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2012

True Life: I'm Allergic to Pat the Bunny

First of all, I had no intention of hating Pat the Bunny. It's a great "touch and feel" book, and I know that it's one of those children's classics that lots of people read when they were little and feel nostalgic about. What I didn't remember about the book - that I've discovered now as an adult - is that the flowers in the book actually have a smell.


It would make sense for the publisher to give the flowers a real scent if the children are supposed to be smelling the flowers like Paul. Still, I did not remember this from my childhood. For probably a week after we received the book - before I opened it - I could not for the life of me figure out why Mason's room smelled like my great-grandmother's bathroom. I had to actually sniff out the location of the scent, and it was then that I discovered "Now YOU smell the flowers." Instant congestion. Sneezing fit. Scratching in the back of my throat. True life: I'm allergic to Pat the Bunny.

What's weird is that I still haven't gotten rid of the book. It's like I somehow keep forgetting that those flowers get me every single time. We'll go weeks without reading it, and then Mason will pull it off the shelf and bring it over to me. The second I open it up I'm reminded. 

So aside from being a marginally amusing anecdote, I want this blog post to serve as a reminder: I need to give that book away.

If you would like a copy of Pat the Bunny (that somehow, despite our infrequent readings, has lost it's cover) please let me know. I would happily seal it in a zip-loc bag and send it your way. It's really a darling book, I promise... but not if you have allergies.

1 comments:

Lesley Miller said...

I love that book! And so does my Anna, apparently, because our copy is ripped in four pieces.

We'd gladly take your copy. :)

Also, this post makes me laugh.